Grandfathering Program for Existing AHIA Members
The Application Window for
Grandfathering Program is Now Closed.
An option to be Grandfathered the CHIAP™ credential will be available to highly experienced AHIA members in good standing who meet the Grandfathering Program Eligibility Requirements. Eligible AHIA members may apply for this one-time only
opportunity through the Certification Management System (CMS) during the period of January 15, 2019 through April 30, 2019.
Grandfathering Program Eligibility Requirements
Applicants must be an AHIA member in good standing
Education and Professional Work Experience
- Applicants must possess an Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree.
- Applicants must demonstrate at least 12 years of combined healthcare internal auditing professional experience within the prior 20 years, as of 12/31/2018.
-To fulfill the professional work experience requirement for the Grandfathering Program, the term Healthcare Internal Auditing experience includes experience in the areas of compliance or operational internal auditing as well as external consulting if it includes working on audits/advisory services for a healthcare entity, with an internal audit/advisory focus. Pure external financial statement audit experience does not qualify as Healthcare Internal Auditing experience.
Employment Verification Forms are NOT required; however, Degree or Education Records must be uploaded at the time of application. If the name on your degree is no longer your current legal name, a Name Change Form and proof of your legal name change must be uploaded at the time of application.
Applicants must hold at least one (1) of the following recognized professional designations:
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC)
- Certified Healthcare Financial Professional (CHFP)
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC)
Other professional designations or certifications may be submitted and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis regarding relevance to the healthcare internal audit profession.
Proof of your current professional designation with expiration date must be uploaded at the time of application.
Applicants must submit two (2) original, authentic and verifiable Professional Recommendation Forms
. These forms must:
Code of Ethics
- The author must confirm knowing the Applicant for at least two (2) years and provide the context for how the author knows the Applicant (e.g., supervisor, co-worker, associate).
- Speak to the Applicant’s experience, skills, and character.
- Recommend the Applicant be awarded certification.
- Provide the author’s current mailing address and daytime telephone number (for AHIA verification purposes).
Applicants must attest that they will abide by the AHIA Code of Ethics and agree to the Statement of Understanding
A complete fee schedule is available in the Candidate Handbook. The cost to apply for certification through the Grandfathering Program is $395.
After carefully reviewing the Grandfathering Program Eligibility Requirements; if you meet the requirements you may enter the following discount code, GRANDFATHER100, at checkout.
Complaints and Appeals Processes
AHIA has established comprehensive complaints and appeals processes in an effort to provide fairness to all applicants, candidates, and Certified Healthcare Internal Audit Professionals™ (CHIAP™). Click here
to view these complete policies in the Candidate Handbook.
If you require speical assistance to apply for the Certification Program, please contact AHIA Senior Education Administrator, Melanie Hein (firstname.lastname@example.org
or 1-847-686-2325) to inform us of your needs.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us at email@example.com
or click here to view FAQs.
Need help with Forms?
for helpful tips on saving fillable PDF forms.