for Existing AHIA Members
An option to be Grandfathered the CHIAP™ credential will be available to highly experienced AHIA members in good standing who meet the Grandfathering Program Eligibility Requirements. Eligible AHIA members may apply for this one-time only
opportunity through the Certification Management System (CMS) during the period of January 15, 2019 through April 30, 2019.
Grandfathering Program Eligibility Requirements
Applicants must be an AHIA member in good standing
Education and Professional Work Experience
Employment Verification Forms are NOT required; however, Degree or Education Records must be uploaded at the time of application. If the name on your degree is no longer your current legal name, a Name Change Form and proof of your legal name change must be uploaded at the time of application.
- Applicants must possess an Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree.
- Applicants must demonstrate at least 12 years of combined healthcare internal auditing professional experience within the prior 20 years, as of 12/31/2018.
Applicants must hold at least one (1) of the following recognized professional designations:
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC)
- Certified Healthcare Financial Professional (CHFP)
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC)
Other professional designations or certifications may be submitted and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis regarding relevance to the healthcare internal audit profession.
Proof of your current professional designation must be uploaded at the time of application.
Applicants must submit two (2) original, authentic and verifiable Professional Recommendation Forms
. These forms must:
Code of Ethics
- The author must confirm knowing the Applicant for at least two (2) years and provide the context for how the author knows the Applicant (e.g., supervisor, co-worker, associate).
- Speak to the Applicant’s experience, skills, and character.
- Recommend the Applicant be awarded certification.
- Provide the author’s current mailing address and daytime telephone number (for AHIA verification purposes).
Applicants must attest that they will abide by the AHIA Code of Ethics and agree to the Statement of Understanding
A complete fee schedule is available in the Candidate Handbook. The cost to apply for certification through the Grandfathering Program is $395.
After carefully reviewing the Grandfathering Program Eligibility Requirements; if you meet the requirements you may enter the following discount code, GRANDFATHER100, at checkout.
How to Apply
- 1. Carefully review the Grandfathering Program Eligibility Requirements.
- 2. Have the required Forms completed and signed.
- 3. Utilize the Application Checklist to ensure you have everything you need before you start your application.
- 4. Click the Apply Now button to pay the CHIAP™ grandfathering application fee.
- 5. You must enter the discount code, GRANDFATHER100 at checkout.
- 6. After payment you will be provided with a link and directed into the AHIA Certification Management System to complete your application. Note-access is not granted to the CMS until payment is received in full. Please be aware that payments by check will delay the application submission and review.
- 7. Utilize the instructions below to navigate the CMS online application system.
- 8. You will be notified via email after your Grandfathering application has been reviewed and approved.
Complaints and Appeals Processes
AHIA has established comprehensive complaints and appeals processes in an effort to provide fairness to all applicants, candidates, and Certified Healthcare Internal Audit Professionals™ (CHIAP™). Click here
to view these complete policies in the Candidate Handbook.
If you require speical assistance to apply for the Certification Program, please contact AHIA Senior Education Administrator, Melanie Hein (firstname.lastname@example.org
or 1-847-686-2325) to inform us of your needs.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us at email@example.com
or click here to view FAQs.