CHIAP™ Eligibility Requirements
Education and Professional Work Experience
The AHIA Certification Management System will be
Open for Applications on October 1, 2020!
- Application Window: October 1, 2020 - January 31, 2021
- Exam Window: February 1, 2021 - March 31, 2021
Carefully review the Candidate Handbook
and detailed Eligibility Requirements and
to become a candidate for the Certified Healthcare Internal Audit Professional®
How to Apply
- 2. Have the required Forms completed and signed.
- 3. Utilize the Application Checklist to ensure you have everything you need before you start your application.
- 4. Click the Apply Now button to pay the CHIAP application and exam fee.
- 5. After payment you will be provided with a link and directed into the AHIA Certification Management System(CMS) to complete your application. Note-access is not granted to the CMS until payment is received in full. Please be aware that payments by check will delay the application submission and review.
- 6. Use the instructions below to navigate the online application system.
- 7. You will be notified via email after your application has been reviewed and approved with instructions to schedule your exam at a PSI testing center.
View these step by step instructions on the CMS online application system
Applicants holding a Bachelor’s Degree must demonstrate at least 2 years of experience working in the internal audit profession within the prior 10 years and at least 2 years of experience working in a healthcare setting within the prior 5 years.
Applicants holding an Associate’s Degree must demonstrate at least 5 years of experience working in the internal audit profession within the prior 10 years and at least 2 years of experience working in a healthcare setting within the prior 5 years.
Applicants who do not have a degree may submit an application, but must demonstrate a total of 10 years of combined healthcare internal auditing experience.
To fulfill the professional work experience requirement, the term internal audit profession includes experience in the areas of:
- Operational Internal Auditing
- External consulting, if it includes working on audits/advisory services for a healthcare entity, with an internal audit/advisory focus; Pure external financial statement audit experience does not qualify as Healthcare Internal Auditing experience
- Compliance - While compliance experience will be accepted, it is important for candidates to have knowledge of the principles of healthcare internal auditing in order to be successful on the CHIAP exam
Please visit the Exam Preparation page for more information on the Body of Knowledge categories on which the exam is based.
Applicants are required to submit completed and signed Employment Verification Forms during the Application Process, from current/former employers to demonstrate the required experience. Degree or educational records are also required to be uploaded at the time of application. If the name on your degree is no longer your current legal name, a Name Change Form and proof of your legal name change must be uploaded at the time of application.
Code of Ethics
Applicants must attest that they will abide by the AHIA Code of Ethics and agree to the Statement of Understanding
A complete fee schedule and refund policy is available in the Candidate Handbook.
The cost to apply for and take the exam is:
- $495 for AHIA members
- $745 for non-members
Become an AHIA Member and Save!
Save $30 by joining AHIA
prior to submitting the CHIAP candidate application:
- The AHIA annual individual membership fee ($220) plus the member rate for the certification application and exam ($495) combined is $30 less than the non-member certification application rate alone of $745.
- Your AHIA membership purchase must be completed in a seperate transaction prior to paying the application and exam fee.
- Click here to learn more about the benefits of AHIA membership.
Are You Re-Testing in the Next Exam Window?
- Approved applicants are allowed up to two retake attempts during their eligibility period.
- Candidates who sat for the exam during the first exam window in May/June 2019 will be allowed to schedule their first retake attempt at no charge! You will receive a new 'Authorization to Test' notification email two weeks before scheduling opens for the next exam window.
Complaints and Appeals Processes
AHIA has established comprehensive complaints and appeals processes in an effort to provide fairness to all applicants, candidates, and Certified Healthcare Internal Audit Professionals (CHIAP). Click here
to view the complete policies in the Candidate Handbook.
If you require speical assistance to apply for the Certification Program, please contact AHIA Senior Education Administrator, Melanie Hein ([email protected]
or 1-847-686-2325) to inform us of your needs. Click here
for more information on available accommodations at PSI testing centers provided in the Candidate Handbook.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us at [email protected]
or click here to view FAQs.
Need help with Forms?
Click here for helpful tips on saving fillable PDF forms.