CHIAP Application and Exam Cycles
- CHIAP Application and Exam windows will be open twice a year with Spring and Fall Cycles.
- Spring Cycle:
- Application Window: February - March
- Exam Window: April - May
- Fall Cycle:
- Application Window: August - September
- Exam Window: October - November
Online Proctored Testing is Now Available
in the Fall 2022 Exam Window!
Carefully review the Candidate Handbook
and detailed Eligibility Requirements and
to become a candidate for the Certified Healthcare Internal Audit Professional®
How to Apply
- 2. Have the required Forms completed and signed.
- 3. Click the Apply Now button to pay the CHIAP application and exam fee.
- 4. After payment you will be provided with a link and directed into the AHIA Certification Management System(CMS) to complete your application. Note-access is not granted to the CMS until payment is received in full. Please be aware that payments by check will delay the application submission and review.
- 5. Use the instructions below to navigate the online application system.
- 6. You will be notified via email after your application has been approved with instructions to schedule your online proctored examination.
- The Next Application Window Opens February 1, 2023.
View these step by step instructions on the CMS online application system
CHIAP Eligibility Requirements
Education and Professional Work Experience
Applicants holding a Bachelor’s Degree must demonstrate at least 2 years of experience working in the internal audit profession within the prior 10 years and at least 2 years of experience working in a healthcare setting within the prior 5 years.
Applicants holding an Associate’s Degree must demonstrate at least 5 years of experience working in the internal audit profession within the prior 10 years and at least 2 years of experience working in a healthcare setting within the prior 5 years.
Applicants who do not have a degree may submit an application, but must demonstrate a total of 10 years of combined healthcare internal auditing experience.
To fulfill the professional work experience requirement, the term internal audit profession includes experience in the areas of:
- Operational Internal Auditing
- External consulting, if it includes working on audits/advisory services for a healthcare entity, with an internal audit/advisory focus; Pure external financial statement audit experience does not qualify as Healthcare Internal Auditing experience
- Compliance - While compliance experience will be accepted, it is important for candidates to have knowledge of the principles of healthcare internal auditing in order to be successful on the CHIAP exam
Please visit the Exam Preparation page for more information on the Body of Knowledge categories on which the exam is based.
Applicants are required to submit completed and signed Employment Verification Forms during the Application Process, from current/former employers to demonstrate the required experience. Degree or educational records are also required to be uploaded at the time of application. If the name on your degree is no longer your current legal name, a Name Change Form and proof of your legal name change must be uploaded at the time of application.
Code of Ethics
Applicants must attest that they will abide by the AHIA Code of Ethics and agree to the Statement of Understanding
A complete fee schedule and refund policy is available in the Candidate Handbook.
The cost to apply for and take the exam is:
- $495 for AHIA members
- $745 for non-members
Become an AHIA Member and Save!
Save $30 by joining AHIA
prior to submitting the CHIAP candidate application:
- The AHIA annual individual membership fee ($220) plus the member rate for the certification application and exam ($495) combined is $30 less than the non-member certification application rate alone of $745.
- Your AHIA membership purchase must be completed in a seperate transaction prior to paying the application and exam fee.
- Click here to learn more about the benefits of AHIA membership.
Are You Re-Testing in the Next Exam Window?
- Approved applicants are allowed up to two retake attempts during their eligibility period.
- You will receive a new 'Authorization to Test' notification email approximately two weeks before scheduling opens for the next exam window.
Now Available... Online Proctored Testing!
Starting this fall, take the CHIAP® Certification Exam in the convenience of your own home or office with online proctored testing! Upon application approval, candidates will receive a URL and instructions to login to the Certification Management Services' TESTWise System and schedule their proctored exam. This is the same URL that will be used on your exam date. Prior to your exam date, candidates should review the Candidate Handbook and follow the provided verification steps to insure your computer and testing location both meet the minimum requirements for online proctored examination.
- You must use a laptop or desktop computer running Microsoft Windows or Mac OSX (no phones or tablets)
- You must use a supported browser; Chrome, Firefox, or Edge (not Safari or Internet Explorer)
- You must have a webcam, microphone, and speakers, which must function and remain on throughout the exam.
- Your computer must be connected to a power source.
- You can only use one display. If you have a second display, it must be unplugged.
- The only software that is allowed to run on your computer is the meeting software and the web browser where you are logged in to Examity’s proctoring portal.
Standard Test Day Rules
- You must show the proctor a valid (not expired) government issued photo ID. You will be required to hold the ID in front of you webcam. The proctor will need to clearly see your name, photo, and expiration date.
- You must be alone in the room.
- Your desk and area around the desk must be clear. The proctor will ask you to do a complete 360 degree room pan and desk sweep with your webcam to ensure your workspace is clear of any materials unauthorized by your test sponsor. (No papers, Post-It or other sticky notes, books, electronic devices, phones, etc.)
- You cannot leave your seat.
- You cannot use headphones or a phone during the exam.
- You cannot talk except when communicating with the proctor.
- The proctor must be able to see you for the duration of the exam.
Complaints and Appeals Processes
AHIA has established comprehensive complaints and appeals processes in an effort to provide fairness to all applicants, candidates, and Certified Healthcare Internal Audit Professionals (CHIAP). Click here
to view the complete policies in the Candidate Handbook.
If you require speical assistance to apply for the Certification Program, please contact AHIA Education Manager, Melanie Hein ([email protected]
or 1-847-686-2325) to inform us of your needs.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us at [email protected]
or click here to view FAQs.
Need help with Forms?
Click here for helpful tips on saving fillable PDF forms.